Help us to build Brown Bear
A replica of Sea Lion’s sister locomotive – Polar Bear
The railway’s volunteers have long held a dream to restore the scene of two Bagnall locomotives operating down the glen at Groudle on a permanent basis. With this in mind, and on account of the reasonable certainty that Polar Bear will never return to the Glen permanently, we’ve decided to replace her with a replica built to the original 1905 design. Continuing the theme of naming locomotives after the animals that once inhabited the Victorian zoo at the railway’s Sea Lion Rocks Terminus the new locomotive will be named Brown Bear.
To turn this dream into reality, we launched the Build Brown Bear appeal to raise the envisaged 50,000 required to fund the construction of the locomotive.
It is hoped with enough support, Brown Bear could be hauling trains by 2019.
The railway welcomes donations both large and small towards this project and using the original Polar Bear’s builders number, 1781 as a theme the following reward packages have been created for those wishing to show their support.
- Anyone making a single donation of 10 will receive a signed funding certificate.
- Those donating 178.10 (or more) will receive a personal invite to Brown Bear’s Launch day, plus a signed funding certificate.
- A monthly subscription of 7.81 (for a minimum term of a year) – A signed funding certificate, a year’s free membership of the Friends of Groudle Glen Railway and invite to launch day.
- A monthly subscription of 17.81 (for a minimum term of a year) – A Footplate ride on Brown Bear following her completion plus an invite to Brown Bear’s launch and a signed funding certificate.
- Subscription of 1781 yearly- All of the above plus a signed and framed photo of the locomotive following her completion.
Groudle Glen Railway, 8a The Village Walk, Onchan, Isle of Man. IM3 4EA
Download the Donation form by clicking here or use the online Paypal options: